Thank you for stopping by "My Sentence" today!

Saturday, August 11, 2018

A Love Letter


Dear Lauren,

I wanted to say hello for your birthday, I love you so much, honey! I remember the day I was at the mall right before your funeral. I was shopping for clothes to wear to it, but all I could think about was you and how much I love you and how much I’ll miss you. I heard the song playing at the store and I even briefly remembered, but my grief was so great at that time to recognize it was from you. The memory is so much clearer now. You, me and Terry riding in the car going somewhere as we often did when y’all were younger. I had purchased a new cd and I remember you in the back seat because Terry had called shotgun, and I remember telling you that you could ride in the front on the way home. I remember me and you playing “New Shoes” over and over again from my new Paolo Nutini CD. I think we drove Terry a little crazy with it. ;) I hadn’t heard that song in years, but now I know that day at the mall when “New Shoes” was playing in the store it was you trying to let me know you love me and that you were okay. I know you knew I would eventually make the connection in my head, because of our occasional conversations about loved ones who have passed, and how we believed they find ways to let us know their okay and they love us. I’ll be listening to “New Shoes “ on your birthday, and remembering a sweet memory of you!

Hey, I put some new shoes on
And suddenly everything is right
I said, hey I put some new shoes on
And everybody's smiling, it's so inviting
Oh short on money but long on time
Slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine
And I'm running late and I don't need an excuse
Cause I'm wearing my brand new shoes
(Paolo Nutini)

Love to you sweetheart,
Nana

In loving memory of Lauren Nicole 

08/25/1997 to 07/12/2018

7 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful tribute to your love for precious Lauren! The relationship between a grand daughter and her grand mother can be such a magnificent one, and I think that is what you two had. I also believe that song playing was her way of saying, she is okay, and love like our souls does live on! Sending hugs your way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that photo of you both. It is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the words from the song, Starry, Starry Night by Don McLean, regarding Lauren...

    "this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkvLq0TYiwI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Barbara. Love that song.

    ReplyDelete

A Fairy Christmas

A chilly breeze, the mistletoe sways. A brush of wings… Fairies may have passed your way. A glitter dusting, a playfu...