Thank you for stopping by "My Sentence" today!

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Pesky Pear Tree






Hey you – yeah, you.
Put down that brush loaded up…
with golden ochre acrylic paint.
Relax – fill your coffee cup.

I have a tree story to tell.
One that will make you fear…
Those lovely Bradford Pear blossoms,
That I’m about to smear.

Yes, they may be pretty.
A sterile ornamental tree.
Unfortunately, with just themselves…
and now most people will agree.


To never plant these trees.
If it’s not enough – you will never see a single pear.
The havoc that they’ll spread…
Will be more than we can bear.

Here is the link where I got the idea for this
poem for The Sunday Muse. Also for Poetry Pantry.
Happy Sunday.  😊 Photo: Source
https://wellnessmama.com/126975/cut-down-bradford-pear-tree/
https://thesundaymuse.blogspot.com/
http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/

33 comments:

  1. There is something so sad about blossoms that never lead to fruits...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is surprising. A tree wrecking havoc instead of its fruit. Kind of sci-fi ish also.
    Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday

    Much💟love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh yes I heard about cutting down bradford pear tree! Better to be safe than sorry. Beautifully executed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad that some trees have diseases much like some humans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know about Bradford pears, fascinating. Loved the poem,Vicki.
    I have signed up to your blog and I just love the header on your other one. That would surely inspire a poem. . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, sometimes one must just relax and fill one's coffee cup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I wonder what thir purpose is......in nature everything has one....there must be an insect or bird who needs it......but it sounds like it wreaks havoc on other growing things. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to google the tree after I read the poem - yikes! Worse than kudzu? *shudder* I'll stick to cherry for my flowering tree of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is, indeed, 'food for thought'. Great job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fascinating! I had no idea about this phenomenon. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the story in this, and the clever way it is started Vicki. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great beginning--I will have that cup of coffee and story, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was literally going to start painting now.

    I love the blossoms even if they don't produce.

    Nice tree story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vicki, I love the fact that you started with the idea of painting. A Tree Story, such a beautiful twist.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the beginning of this, and learning of the dreaded Bradford pear trees.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I must goggle these trees which cause havoc

    ReplyDelete

A Fairy Christmas

A chilly breeze, the mistletoe sways. A brush of wings… Fairies may have passed your way. A glitter dusting, a playfu...